As I'm sitting here writing this I can't believe that I have successfully completed my first year of teaching!! It seems like just yesterday when I had my first dream/vision of becoming a special education teacher and now here I am nine years later doing what I love and what I am gifted at. This year my students were not the only ones who were learning and growing... I was right there along with them learning and growing myself. Boy did I have a lot to learn.
When I first started last year I was a little bossy, a little to sure of myself, and just a smidge to up tight. I came into my classroom and took charge not giving any of my staff at first a say in how things would run in my room. I worked non-stop and found myself towards Christmas time wondering how I would ever be able to continue teaching if I continued at the pace I was at. Some how naturally I relaxed a little, got great support staff, and put things back into focuss. I had to realize that some of the things I was so natzi like over in the grand scheme of things didn't really matter all that much. So, what if little tommy or sussie hasn't still mastered list one from the dolch sight words... little tommy & sussie were able to ditch the diapers this year and become fully toilet trained (at age 11). That in my opinion is much more important than sight words any day!! When your in it every day it is sometimes hard to see the growth that your students have made. This is especially true in special education classes like mine. However, I saw the change last week when a sub was working in my room when one of my regular support staff was out sick. This particular sub hadn't subed in my room since Sept or maybe Oct and last week in class she said to me wow how these kids have changed. She spoke about how one of my kids was hitting staff less and was now approaching staff and asking to go use the bathroom or for "chops" a deep pressure thing we do. She also spoke about how they all follow the routine and know what they are supposed to do. I sat back and listened to her and thought about what she said and I saw it. I saw what she was talking about and yes oh yes have they changed and grown and I played a part in that. I helped my kiddos to become more independent and that feels good.... That feels real damn good!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment